Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Chuck Berry





"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." -- John Lennon


That about says it all...but allow me to continue for a moment.


I had the pleasure of hearing and seeing Mr. Chuck Berry in the flesh on December 30, 2007 at B.B. King Blues Club & Grill in New York City's Times Square. I had been planning on going to see him perform at the Blueberry Hill in St. Louis for quite some time (almost a year), as he does a monthly Wednesday night there...but lo and behold, I found out he was going to be in the hood, so I immediately copped tickets for the jam.

It's always difficult for me to describe musical night outs, especially if it's amazing. For the record...this night was amazing. His one hour set consisted of about 75-80% blues, which was the sweetness. Oh yeah...I thought it was supposed to be rock'n'roll. Well...it was fucking rocking...and rolling...and for someone who's 81 years old and touring relentlessly...it was more than I could've asked for.

Yeah, it's a poor review of the night, but fuck reviewing it as I'm just inspired by it all. He was literally 50 feet away from me and I was hootin' and hollerin' and pumping my fist in the air for most of the time. I would look around incredulously, where you'd lock eyes with someone, and without saying a word, you know both of you were thinking, "Shit...I can't believe how awesome the world is right now". Fuck...I'm getting the chills just thinking about it again.

All I've got to say it to just make sure the next time he's in town, get tickets, go early, have a few drinks, and let the music rock you.









No comments:

Post a Comment