Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Master Burger List Review Bonanza - The Inception - Second Avenue Deli

Last Thursday, February 12, the New York City Burger Tour commenced. One could describe it as starting off with a whimper, or rather, an inauspicious starting point to a truly noble endeavor for mankind. I have no idea what the fuck I'm rambling about. Let's just get to the reviews.

The first stop on the burger tour is probably not a place you'd think of getting a hamburger - with good reason. It just happened that we (Chuckie Cheese and I) were in the vicinity of Second Avenue Deli, so of course we were going to grab lunch there. Well, they have hamburgers on the menu, and though I've never gotten one in the many years I've been going, I felt like it was my job to order one, eat it, and review it...as I had just undertaken a burger list review mania. In other words, I took one for the team. You can thank me in bottles of Jameson later.

For those of yous who've never had the 2nd Ave experience, when you sit, you promptly get this with your water with lemon:















Then we order chopped liver because there was no fucking way we weren't going to order it. If it wasn't so unhealthy, I'd eat it every other day. Here's what it looked like right before it was finished off:
















And now, booyahkasha, the burger:




Looks like the burger pattie got dropped into the deep fat fryer, right? That's because it probably was. I asked our kind waitress what kind of meat was used and how it was prepared...and she looked at me like I was a korean in a kosher restaurant. I got no reply. Suffice to say, it wasn't good.






Close-up:































Here's a crosscut:















Aftermath:














With that said, who cares how it was dressed or what kind of bun it was served on. The moral to this first burger review is - you don't go to Second Avenue Deli for a burger. There's no need to describe what it tasted like - you just don't order a burger at Second Ave. You also don't go there for lean brisket or dairy products. Oh, and the fries were okay. I'm gonna go ahead and say they were Russet potatoes.

So yeah, you can see how this start to the burger review tour didn't pop off with a home run. It was more like a swing-and-a-miss at a balk. Fail all around. (Ohhh, what a smooth transition to a baseball analogy. Can't wait until the start of the season.)

Well, that's the first place on the list I can cross off. That evening, Cheese and I hit up another restaurant under the auspice of getting garbage plates in NYC with the intention of supplementing it with a burger. If you don't know what a garbage plate is, sorry. Or maybe, lucky. Either way, I'm a (true a la Rochester-stylee) garbage plate fan. Stay tuned for the hilarious report/review coming shortly.

1 comment:

  1. korean in a kosher restaurant! hhahha
    can't wait to hear about the more primo burgers. you know what i waaant!

    ReplyDelete