Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Master Burger List Review Bonanza - Pt. 7 - Recipe (Upper West Side)

An "intimate neighborhood restaurant featuring rustic new American cuisine inspired by fresh, local ingredients", Recipe, on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, serves up a lunch menu that's really easy on the pockets, and big on flavor and value. Small restaurant, small overhead...right? Quaint is definitely a word that comes to mind when describing the place. Also, they must have one of the most complicated faucets in their restroom. Seriously...you need directions. Thankfully, they provide it.




Recipe's burger has been on my radar for a while (which my sister can attest to) and I finally made my way to the UWS during lunch hours last Friday. For starters, I had the pumpkin gnocchi with short ribs and garden root vegetables($2 supplement), and I've got to say...it was tasty. I love short ribs...and the gnocchis were delectable. It was crisped up on the outside, and still chewy on the inside. I would definitely order it again.

As for the burger, here it is in all its glory:



Here's a sexy cross-cut:



Ordered medium-rare, it definitely was more rare than medium-rare. I didn't mind, as I like a rare burger once in awhile...but for those that are averse to blood, I'd make sure to have it the way you want it. The meat itself was super flavorful, but the grill marks were too prominent, creating too much char where the burger rested on the grill. I love char, but it was too much.

The accompanying house made potato chips were just aight. As the meal was for lunch, it's probably better I didn't get fries. It's also most likely a reason as to how the lunch deal is so affordable, considering chips utilize significantly less potatoes than fries (of course depending on how many chips or fries the restaurant portions). You know what I'm trying to say...

In short, the burger at Recipe didn't disappoint. If I lived in the hood, I could definitely imagine having a few meals here, and they do deliver, so I'd probably take advantage of that too. As a side note, my dining companion had the crispy duck leg confit which I thought was really good...which makes me want to try their other offerings. So all in all, I'd say to definitely check out the spot, especially during lunch. I've heard the wait can get rather long for dinner and brunch, as they can only seat 26 at one time.

452 Amsterdam Ave
(between 81st St & 82nd St)
New York, NY 10024
(212) 501-7755

No comments:

Post a Comment